Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What is Kerupuk Udang?


What is THIS?


Kerupuk Udang (Shrimp Chips / Prawn Crackers made from tapioca flour, shrimps, water, salt, sugar, and sometimes MSG!) are crunchy snacks that are very popular in Asia, or in the world nowadays. You can get fried / ready to eat chips at any Asian stores, or at good  supermarkets. It is cheaper if you buy the uncooked crackers at an Asian store and fry them up yourself. The shrimp chips I know which don't taste like styrofoam, but, in my opinion, real shrimps come from Jakarta Indonesia: 'Ny. Siok' Shrimp Chips. 
Unfortunately I cannot find their products anymore in any shops in Vienna.
One shopkeeper told me that Ny. Siok Chips were too expensive. It costs more than 10 Euro for a package of 17.65 oz whereas other brands only cost 2-3 Euro for the same amount. 
I hope some shop is going to import these delicious shrimp chips again someday so you can also try   them yourself!
At the moment I get enough supplies of the crackers from my sisters.

If you have any questions concerning 'Asian' foods, I'll be happy to help.

No comments: